Friday, April 23, 2010

Inspiration


After looking at Karen's blog today, I'm truly inspired to change up the colors in my bedroom!
I can't get the colors in this collection of fabrics out of my head!
While I would love to have a white comforter, my kids lay in our bed and watch movies and the dirty little dog with muddy paws sleeps on our bed every night.....
Her photos in her living room are so inspiring to me! I can't even stand it! I just love them!
The inside of my house photographs so poorly! I made a snap decision a few years ago, before I (we) were into photography to paint our dining room, that faces north, a dark Moroccan Red on one wall and tan on the others....I'm realizing that we will NEVER get decent photos in there, natural light is limited and red doesn't photograph well.
Our living room, which is small, is the only room in the house that we haven't touched since moving in. It still has the icky walls that are covered with a creamy colored damask wallpaper. Top it off with blue carpet and we've got a living room that was decorated for my 80 year old grandma in 1980. It's awful!
UGH, just typing this makes me desparately want to do something different, but I don't know that I can deal with the mess and the fact that it takes my husband FOREVER to do something or at least make a decision of HOW to do something.
Not to mention, he has to point out everything that is wrong with our old house (that my grandpa built in 1934 and we got a GREAT deal on!)....
Thanks for letting me vent! I'd love to know how your homes photograph? so that when I do get around to have the work done, I have some ideas to work off of!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh -- I'm loving those colors too. Those would be wonderful in a bedroom. I feel your pain in the "not photo friendly" house.

    My house. . . well, I have a lot of natural light which is good but not quite enough light. My walls are white, which is good, but I have WAYYYYY too much stuff lying around/on the walls/in the way and it is hard to get good clean, shots there. Also -- I hate the old, ugly beige carpet so that is a problem as well. So -- good light, bad decoration and clutter. That is the story of my house. . . how about everyone else?

    Great question and great post -- thanks for sharing it!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good topic Juli. When we moved into our house 2 years ago, pretty much all of the rooms were painted a beige color. It's not a bad color...but the whole house being that color is a problem for me. Plus they had 4 kids. So it wasn't (and still isn't) in the best of shape and needs a new coat.

    I am taking my time getting the different rooms painted. Our kitchen is a golden yellow color...which was our first room to paint and I didn't know then that I would be loving photography and that the color of the walls might just cast a tint on my subjects face. So the yellow prob wasn't the best choice.

    I would love love love to get rid of our carpet and put down wood floors. And get new furniture. AHHHH...someday. When kids can't stain them. (is there such a day?) But it would look so much better in photos!

    I had actually thought about getting a few boxes of the wood planks you snap together...just enough to make a floor for photographs. I don't think it would be too costly. And then I would need to repaint at least one wall just for photos. I saw this super cute damask texture on a photography fb page. http://www.divinedigital.com/boutique/product.php?productid=16232

    i tried to copy the image as a url (not sure how that will post):
    http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs089.snc3/15696_415262561286_210858436286_5728723_3397379_n.jpg

    Anyway...I too need to find ways to make my home more conducive to photographing. Especially with the baby coming this summer. I'd love to have one of those photos of the newborn on the parents bed. Hmmm...I'd better get to decluttering. :)

    Have a great weeekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the colors ... and actually they basically go with what i will be doing in our room. we currently split our bedroom in half (to make two boys rooms) and we'll be moving into the room tucker is in right now. my mil and hubby have painted the two boys rooms and i'm picking up paint this weekend for our room. i'm going with a color from behr called 'winter fresh' and then i think i'll just work out the bedding and accents from there. the winter fresh color is like a light minty-turquoise-ish color. love it.

    i love color. i'll post some previews on my blog of the color i have now. our living room which is one of the best rooms for light in the day is a 'brick red' color. it's dark, almost cranberry. i like it, but am thinking of going to a slate grayish type color ... or maybe some kind of tan, but i hate tan, so we'll see.

    i swear i have to get pictures up of what we're doing. it's amazing what a little paint does to make a girl feel good! :)

    back to the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a color on my walls in my LR called "Garden Gate" - Photographs terribly LOL - what can you do? Either you figure out the color of the light in your room and fix it in white balance or you paint your walls 18% gray. IMHO - best bet is to paint a color you love and figure out that magic color correction of that room LOL - oh, and write that number down - Opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. and then, I picked out a set of brown leather furniture a couple years ago....I would love something different, but really leather is so practical when there are kids and pets in the house. a pledge wipe makes it look brand new again....I broke the news that I want to start thinking about working on our living room, we'l see what happens and how long it will actually take! My thought is that we have to be out of the "toys everywhere" stage. We don't have a basement and each one of our kids has a shelf in their room, but I don't want them to be forced to have everything in their rooms....oh well, I guess I'll shut up and be happy that at least we now have a washer and dryer that actually work! (and that I LOVE!)
    I'm going to start with cleaning up our bedroom and try to get rid of some clutter in the attic....if only I could get rid of the 55 gallon aquarium in there, there'd be so much more room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have the brown leather couch, deep red and tan walls, but it's in our family room. We noticed that the red reflects onto the tan walls and turns them a weird pink mess. yuck!

    Our kitchen/great room area is a bright white with bright lemon yellow horizontal stripes. What can I say? I watched a lot of While You Were Out and Trading Spaces and saw this on an episode. Kind of cool looking (and perhaps dated now), but it's not good for photos.

    I would LOVE to redo our house too...we're doing baby steps and starting w/the bathrooms first. I really like the new color in our bath, Behr's "Skyline Steel" (a light gray/blue) and a dark gray/slate tile and black & white accents...it would be good for photos, but I don't want to bring everyone into my bathroom!!

    Jenny, I can't wait to see the remodel pics!

    ReplyDelete